Updated: Jun 22, 2020
Experts recommend the use of face masks and sanitizing gels, among other measures, in the workplace to help stop the spread of Covid-19.
The World Health Organization (WHO) urges employees to start implementing the measures outlined below immediately, even if Covid-19 has not arrived in the communities where they operate. The measures can reduce working days lost due to illness and stop or slow the spread of the virus if it affects your workplace.
Make sure your workplaces are clean and hygienic
Surfaces and objects need to be wiped with disinfectant regularly. Contamination on surfaces touched by employees and customers is one of the main ways that Covid-19 spreads.
Promote regular and thorough hand-washing by employees, contractors, and customers
· Put sanitizing hand rub dispensers in prominent places around the workplace.
· Display posters promoting hand-washing.
· Make sure that staff, contractors, and customers have access to places where they can wash their hands with soap and water.
Promote good respiratory hygiene in the workplace
· Make face masks or paper tissues available at your workplaces for those who develop a runny nose or cough at work. Ensure that there are closed bins for disposing of the used masks and tissues.
· Display posters promoting respiratory hygiene.
Advise employees with symptoms to stay at home
· Inform people of the need to stay at home even if they have only mild symptoms of Covid-19.
· Display posters with this message in your workplaces.
· Make clear to employees that they will be able to count this time off as sick leave.